So just what is glycolic acid, anyway?
We’re so glad you asked! In its plainest form, glycolic acid is a solid, powdery substance with a crystal-like structure that naturally has no color or odor. You may have heard skincare and beauty enthusiasts wax poetic about glycolic acid’s capabilities as an anti-aging agent—reducing the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, sagging skin, and discoloration—but did you know that glycolic acid is also great for treating acne? Read on to find out the reasons why you should make glycolic acid a powerful part of your anti-acne skincare routine:
- It’s a natural. Glycolic acid can be extracted from good old-fashioned (and sweet!) fruits and veggies such as sugar beets, sugar cane, and pineapple (the glycolic acid in all of Cane + Austin’s skincare products is derived from sugar cane).
- It’s the real deal. In addition to being available in products sold by commercial retailers, boutiques, and salons, glycolic acid is also a go-to ingredient for dermatologists and other medical professionals in skin treatments such as chemical peels. Cane + Austin products use medical grade glycolic acid to deliver clinically proven results.
- It really gets in there. Glycolic acid molecules are relatively very small, and glycolic acid is highly water soluble–this means that glycolic acid solutions are fantastic at penetrating into the skin to clear out clogged pores and the bacteria that cause acne and blackheads, leaving your face feeling and looking amazingly clean and refreshed.
- It’s powerful but gentle. Unlike some other skin care ingredients, gentle solutions of glycolic acid can be used on all skin types—dry, oily, or combination—without irritating or drying out the skin, or causing redness. Cane + Austin offers gentle and effective formulations of 5% and 10% glycolic acid, respectively, in Cane + Austin 2%/5% Acne Retexture Pads and Cane + Austin Acne Retexture Pads +, allowing you to choose your strength without skimping on efficacy.
- It plays well with others. Glycolic acid can be combined with an acne-fighting superstar salicylic acid to further strengthen its skin cleansing properties. Like glycolic acid, salicylic acid penetrates deeply into pores to clear out bacteria that cause acne and blackheads. Salicylic acid can also help to reduce the appearance of dark marks and scarring that can be caused by acne. Both Cane + Austin 2%/5% Acne Retexture Pads and Cane + Austin Acne Retexture Pads + combine glycolic acid and salicylic acid for optimal cleansing and rejuvenating power—you might even call it a dream team.
- It finishes strong. Glycolic acid does double- and triple-duty. While it’s penetrating deep into the skin to clear and refresh pores, it’s also helping to shed tired, dead skin cells, as well as increasing collagen production. The results? Skin that’s all-around clearer, cleaner, more luminous, and more youthful-looking.
Convinced that you need glycolic acid on your team to help you fight acne and get brighter, smoother skin that positively glows?