HOW TO DO GLYCOLIC ACID PEELS AT HOME
Your skin can be refreshed using glycolic acid to remove years from your appearance. This acid aids in exfoliation and the production of collagen. People, who have ongoing problems with acne, and the production of oil and control of sebum, can also benefit from this acid. Even scars left behind can be erased. When used for a few months’ duration, glycolic acid can be an excellent tool to fight wrinkles as an anti-aging formula. It is pretty simple to do glycolic treatments in the privacy of your home. For acne scarring, it is recommended to use a strong percentage of glycolic acid because it is better at exfoliating. A low percentage of 10 to 20% is usually recommended for first time users. The percentage can gradually be increased to 30 and then 50%, as the users' skin gets used to it. It can be harmful if the user does not give the skin some adjustment times between increases of the glycolic acid percentages. Glycolic acid is powerful and should be respected - please don't overuse it.
There are five simple steps to doing a glycolic peel in the comfort of home:
- Start out by thoroughly washing the skin area.
- Take one of the glycol acid pads and gently dab the pad around on your face.
- Follow the instructions of the Cane+Austin’s product regarding time limit and set a timer. It is imperative to allow the skin to gradually build a tolerance, so be mindful and do not go over recommended time limit.
- Use clean water to wash your face when the time is finished. You can also use a solution of baking soda and water. Just have it premixed and ready for use immediately after your timer goes off. It is even ok to skip this step and leave the glycolic acid on your face.
- Use a clean towel to gently pat the face dry and use a gentle moisturizer that is free of fragrance. Facial toners usually have mild acidic properties of their own and should not be used after the glycolic acid treatment. There are several homemade toner recipes on line, such as for rosewater, that are not acidic and may be used if one wants a toner.