WHAT IS A CHEMICAL PEEL?
A chemical peel is a cosmetic procedure that’s used to make skin look younger, brighter, and smoother.
All chemical peels involve the application of a chemical solution (often, a glycolic acid solution) to a patient’s face that causes the existing layer of dry, damaged, or wrinkled skin to peel off. In the case of glycolic acid solutions, the chemical treatment is able to soak into the outermost layer of skin and dissolve the lipid (fat) cells that hold together old, dead skin cells. As this happens—the length of the process depends on the strength and type of the treatment—the old skin is replaced by newer, younger-looking skin growth, resulting in overall smoother, more even, and improved skin appearance.
In-office chemical peels are performed by a medical professional, such as a dermatologist or aesthetician. Dermatologists may also use chemical peels to remove certain pre-cancerous growths. The three main types of in-office chemical peels are:
- Superficial peels: Of the three types of in-office peels, superficial peels use the mildest and gentlest chemical solution, most often one composed of glycolic acid. They may also use solid carbon dioxide, aka dry ice. These types of peels are also sometimes referred to as “lunchtime peels” because they take very little time to apply, and have the shortest recovery period.
- Medium peels: This type of peel uses a glycolic acid or trichloroacetic acid solution that penetrates deeper into the skin than superficial peels do. They are sometimes done in several different stages.
- Deep peels: A deep peel uses phenol or tricholoracetic acid and soaks into the middle layer of skin, causing the most intense results—the effect of a deep peel is sometimes referred to as a “full burn.” Unlike superficial or medium peels, which can be done on the hands, neck, or face, deep peels can only be performed on the face. Typically, a patient can have only one deep peel in his or her lifetime.
In addition, or as an alternative to, receiving in-office chemical peel, you’re also able to reap the benefits provided by gentle chemical peels through in-home products, such as:
- CANE + AUSTIN Acne Retexture Pad 5% Glycolic Acid 2% Salicylic Acid
- CANE + AUSTIN Retexture Pad 10% Glycolic Acid
- CANE + AUSTIN Miracle Pad 20% Glycolic Acid
- CANE + AUSTIN Miracle Pad + 30% Glycolic Acid
All CANE + AUSTIN Retexture and Miracle Pads contain medical grade glycolic acid derived from sugar cane, are paraben and fragrance-free, ideal for all skin types, and are clinically proven to confer a number of radiant benefits, including:
- Minimizing the appearance of pores
- Reducing the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and age spots
- Diminishing hyper-pigmentation
- Evening out skin tone and building collagen
- Gently clearing blackheads and acne (Acne Retexture Pad)
- Making skin appear generally luminous, smooth, and clear, all in the comfort of your own home and as a part of your regular skincare and beauty routine.
Take our Skin ID quiz to find your personalized skin solution!